Skip to main content

Malnad Musings: Part I








When we think of tourism in Karnataka, the only places that come to mind are the temples and forts at Mysore, Srirangapatna,
Belur, Halebid or the ruins of Hampi, Badami, Aihole and the likes... Places like Coorg and Kemmangundi are growing more popular these days as weekend getaways. But Karnataka is more than just these places...
In this post and the next few I'll try and
take you to some relatively unknown yet magnificent places in the Malnad region of the state('Male' in Kannada means mountain and 'nadu' means land).



I'll start with a lesser known place called Samse.
Samse is in the Chikmaglur district and is some 10-15km from Kalasa town along the Sringeri-Kudremukh road which is on the way towards Horanadu, a popular pilgrimage centre. The best time to visit Samse is just before the onset of the monsoon(that's exactly when we went). Now the journey itself offers some breath-taking views of the Ghats. I was told a family friend's relative had a house at Samse so we decided to stop there for the night. It was 7 30 in the night when we reached his place and all along the way I was thinking "God knows what his place will be like; I'd better get ready for a sleepless night with all sorts of insects climbing onto me". And I was in for a pleasant shock. The house was simply beautiful(see the pictures... they talk for themselves... but don't mind the dates on them, they're wrong). After a sumptous dinner we were shown rooms which were immaculately clean. And to add to my surprise, there weren't any creepy insects at all(God knows how on Earth he managed to keep the place that clean). I tell you, I had the best sleep in years...


When I woke up the next day and looked outside the window I couldn't see anything but white mist everywhere. For a moment I thought I was dead and this was heaven I was looking at... Being amidst the mist on a hazy morning with thick dewdrops lacing the railings with a hot cuppa coffee in hand was totally out-of-the-world! As the mist slowly cleared I was in for a bigger treat... The view out of the balcony was truly breath-taking. The view of the Kudremukh peak that the balcony offered was simply awesome. Never had I seen so many shades of green in all my life! I still can't believe I spent more than an hour looking at the hills just soaking in the rich green surroundings. I was treated to some mouth-watering authentic Malnad cuisine by my ever-smiling host Mr. Sukumar. There's something about Malnad cuisine that makes it so delicious, so rich in spices and yet... so easy on the stomach. Then we were taken to a nearby creek which was the source of water and electricity (very ingenious, I must say)
to the house. The water of the creek was arguably the sweetest I've ever tasted. I must add a bit about our host Sukumar. He is one of very few people I've seen who is the ideal Good Samaraitan personified. During our very brief period of stay at his house, atleast 3-4 visitors from the nearby villages came alongwith their children seeking his help. And boy had they come to the right place. He was more than glad to help. Mind you he didn't just give them some money and wash his hands off. He enquired if the kids were going to school and for those who had completed basic education, he referred them to places like polytechnic institutes for the boys or tailoring classes for the girls. And I also learnt later that he ran a home for the ailing elders. No matter who you are or what you do, its always good to show concern and reach out to other people who aren't as fortunate as you are. The people he helped literally worship him because he has touched all their lives in a way no one else can. Perhaps we must all take a leaf out of his book...


And so after having close to 30 hours of an unforgettable experience we left towards Horanadu to seek the divine blessings of Sri Annapoorneshwari and then back to Bangalore. The majestic mountains have a way of telling us how small we are. They invariably make us contemplate about a lot of questions that we wish we knew the answers to... Its always good to just be at peace with Nature and let the birds and the water do all the talking. Samse is just the right place to do all that and more. So the next time you plan to trek to Kudremukh or visit the Horanadu temple, make sure you stop at this house in Samse.

Comments

shark said…
Hey 'male' in kannada means mountain... So what does 'female' mean... ????? :P

If you want to mention the etymology of malnad, then write how the word is split and their meanings and not some seemingly arbit "male in kannada means.." at the end of the sentence!!!
Vikram said…
Beautiful Pics. Nice post!
pavi said…
extremely beautiful pics..dat single flower specially!n ya thnx for enlightning us abt dis place...i din even kno it existed..that too in our own karnataka!!!keep imparting gyaan like dis:)
Anitha V said…
y tat pic of flower is very beautiful

Popular posts from this blog

The little-known Vanivilasa Sagara Dam at Marikanive

Here's wishing you a very happy 2012!


From obscure Hoysala temples to large monoliths, from quaint blackbuck reserves to the Merlion, from Madhugiri to Malaysia, the last two months have been the best travel-wise, and have seen me and my humble Santro go places all over the state! This trip, however, was done alongwith my cousins in their i10 (which I must say, is a pleasure to drive!). The destination this time, was the oldest dam of Karnataka - Marikanive Dam or Vani Vilasa Sagara, near Hiriyur in the Chitradurga district.
As a kid I remember visiting Chitradurga and its massive fort, and ever since, the image that comes to mind when I hear any reference to the Chitradurga district is a wild, wild west-type barren land with the Sun burning down on you. But this trip shattered that myth for me.
We started early in the day at around 6 as we knew the traffic would build up on the NH4 Bangalore-Tumkur Road, and sure enough it did. But after gobbling up delicious idlis at the Kamadhenu …

May God Help Me - Farewell NITK

The NITK Chapter is officially closed. As Bangaloreans, we have had plenty of rants against college. But after the exodus dawns the epiphany that things weren't so miserable at NITK after all. Now that I'm back home, I've been able to see the very thin silver lining beneath those very, very dark clouds that made these past four years pretty rough.


The Department:


After a fairly successful series of exams(barring the JEE of course!), I landed up in a class of 73 other souls, who, like me, had screwed up just the one exam but had fared pretty well in the AIEEE and landed in the most sought-after branch in the most sought-after NIT, only behind the IITs and BITS Pilani. Although I felt from the curriculum book when I first looked at it that our courses were very well-structured, I must admit that quite a few of them were mostly rote-mugging courses sugar-coated to sound cool. The Department and Its Presiding Diety always kept us on our toes. Assignments, projects or those excru…

Detachment Theory

A psychological and evolutionary theory that attempts at explaining human behaviour is the Attachment Theory, mainly propounded by a John Bowlby, whose basic tenet is that infants need to develop a relationship with atleast one parent or a caretaker for its natural development to occur smoothly. This relationship, that Bowlby talks of, exists mainly between the 'caregivers' and infants aged 6 months to 2 years old. Bowlby published the full theory in his trilogy Attachment and Loss, and his Attachment theory has since become "the dominant approach to understanding early social development, and has given rise to a great surge of empirical research into the formation of children's close relationships". 


While this theory does supposedly explain attachment of infants with their 'caregivers', what still eludes my mind is the nature of the myriad other attachments we have, all of which affect our behaviour, and psychological state equally, or maybe even more th…