Skip to main content

Single bells...

In case you happen to be reading this and don’t know me (I highly doubt there’s anyone like that), you’d know that I’m a nineteen-year old Bangalorean who is currently in NITK Surathkal and wears his ‘Bangy-ness’ (if that’s a word) proudly on his sleeve. A consequence of my being in Surathkal is my limited social skills. My ‘conversation starters’ include “Saw the Man U match last week?” or “NFS Undercover lags on my comp maga. Yours?” or “Saw the latest Big Bang Theory episode? Sheldon rocks!” or “Quantum of Solace sucked, don’t you think?” or the likes, almost all of which, needless to say, don’t go down very well with the fairer sex. This is presumably why I have limited female acquaintances, let alone a girlfriend. Since high school, there has always been a group of us (a la G.R.O.S.S.) who’d take potshots and make fun of other guys who went around with girls who’d be merrily digging gaping holes in their pockets. But as I went from school to PU college and then to NITK, the numbers on my side gradually began to dwindle and how! The girls are taking down my men, one by one. I fear I might be fighting a lone battle…

That apart, as I was in town the other day, I happened to be at a neighbourhood recharge store with one of my most trusted men (who I think is ‘taken’ too…darn you girls!) where I asked for a Rs.112 recharge card. Since I was running late, I hurriedly took the card, giving him exact change. Once I scratched the card after getting home, this message flashed on my cell - Dear BSNL subscriber, your account has been successfully recharged with Rs. 902 and your current balance is Rs.911.42. Startled, I turned the card around only to see that I had been given a Rs.1124 card instead of a Rs.112 card!!! Free currency! Awesome!!! I never paid the store the remaining money – I never asked for so much, did I? It was his mistake, and I really hope I was the only benefactor of his absent-mindedness. Moral issues aside, here’s the real problem – I have too much currency and I don’t know what to do with it. Apart from the daily conversations with my parents and sisters, I hardly make any calls. Here are a few possible ways of emptying Rs.750 (that’s how much I have left) within 3 months –

Make calls – That is how I’ve spent close to 200 so far. From an old neighbour who barely remembered me to my high school History teacher, I’ve called them all. Why text when you can call? The only text messages I now send are the customary good-night-sweet-dreams forwards.

2. Send pointless SMSes – Done that. I’ve voted for arbit contestants on SaReGaMaPa, answered ‘Do you think’ questions on the Times Of India, sent traffic updates to radio stations and even participated in stupid ‘win assured prizes’ contests. But it gets very boring after some time (read 1 day). So that rules out the arbit SMS option.

3. Caller tunes – I would, but the ‘latest ‘song BSNL has to offer is ‘Mausam yeh awesome bada’ from Kidnap!Need we say more? That pretty much rules out the caller tune idea as well.

4. Get someone to talk to – ‘Get a girl na… problem solved!’ seems to be the most prevalent and viable option to most of my Bangalorean friends. And I don’t see that happening anytime in the near future. This is where my lack of socialization with girls and my not having a girlfriend has cost me (or NOT cost me). Besides, I’m not too keen on getting one either, not as yet... :)

So there you have it. 750 rupees. 3 months. Any ideas?

P.S. : Merry Christmas folks :)

Comments

Preetham V said…
Well bro, over a period of time, you will have the girls and later realize that you can know a whole bunch of them and have all your currency safe in your phone! :P Well, for some people at least! :)
D!V$ said…
u nutto...! since when has bein single bothered u this much tht u r bloggin it down?... hmmmm...!
n how many times have u like called me after d recharge lottery happend??? ONCE!!! grrrr...
calls to Chicago once a while may help ya single bells ring even louder!! :P
pavi said…
I don understand ow all de wrong people end up winning such lotteries!!!!may be..u can lend ur sim card to ur frnds hu really need it(like me)ll finish all dat currency in less than 10 days:)u dont hvta worry at all!;)

Popular posts from this blog

The little-known Vanivilasa Sagara Dam at Marikanive

Here's wishing you a very happy 2012!


From obscure Hoysala temples to large monoliths, from quaint blackbuck reserves to the Merlion, from Madhugiri to Malaysia, the last two months have been the best travel-wise, and have seen me and my humble Santro go places all over the state! This trip, however, was done alongwith my cousins in their i10 (which I must say, is a pleasure to drive!). The destination this time, was the oldest dam of Karnataka - Marikanive Dam or Vani Vilasa Sagara, near Hiriyur in the Chitradurga district.
As a kid I remember visiting Chitradurga and its massive fort, and ever since, the image that comes to mind when I hear any reference to the Chitradurga district is a wild, wild west-type barren land with the Sun burning down on you. But this trip shattered that myth for me.
We started early in the day at around 6 as we knew the traffic would build up on the NH4 Bangalore-Tumkur Road, and sure enough it did. But after gobbling up delicious idlis at the Kamadhenu …

May God Help Me - Farewell NITK

The NITK Chapter is officially closed. As Bangaloreans, we have had plenty of rants against college. But after the exodus dawns the epiphany that things weren't so miserable at NITK after all. Now that I'm back home, I've been able to see the very thin silver lining beneath those very, very dark clouds that made these past four years pretty rough.


The Department:


After a fairly successful series of exams(barring the JEE of course!), I landed up in a class of 73 other souls, who, like me, had screwed up just the one exam but had fared pretty well in the AIEEE and landed in the most sought-after branch in the most sought-after NIT, only behind the IITs and BITS Pilani. Although I felt from the curriculum book when I first looked at it that our courses were very well-structured, I must admit that quite a few of them were mostly rote-mugging courses sugar-coated to sound cool. The Department and Its Presiding Diety always kept us on our toes. Assignments, projects or those excru…

Detachment Theory

A psychological and evolutionary theory that attempts at explaining human behaviour is the Attachment Theory, mainly propounded by a John Bowlby, whose basic tenet is that infants need to develop a relationship with atleast one parent or a caretaker for its natural development to occur smoothly. This relationship, that Bowlby talks of, exists mainly between the 'caregivers' and infants aged 6 months to 2 years old. Bowlby published the full theory in his trilogy Attachment and Loss, and his Attachment theory has since become "the dominant approach to understanding early social development, and has given rise to a great surge of empirical research into the formation of children's close relationships". 


While this theory does supposedly explain attachment of infants with their 'caregivers', what still eludes my mind is the nature of the myriad other attachments we have, all of which affect our behaviour, and psychological state equally, or maybe even more th…