Skip to main content

Malnad Musings III - Manjarabad Fort

Here're Parts I and II btw.


Life at Chipzilla is fun and challenging and all that, but all the more challenging is to adapt to a whole new lifestyle. My routine after I joined work is simply that of moving from one seat to another – starting from the toilet seat in the morning to the chair in my cube and then the chair at home in front of the TV or the PC. I wear shorts to meet relatives and friends, my idea of a good meal has changed from Pallkhi to Barbeque Nation, I prefer Vajra buses to regular blue-coloured BMTC buses and I’ve developed a slight paunch thanks to this sedentary lifestyle and my default mail client is MS Outlook! I’m slowly becoming The Bangalore techie...


The weekdays were getting hectic and the weekends equally boring. I was itching to get out of the city and the Skandagiri night trek was just what the doctor ordered to kick me from my slumber. A weekend visit to Hassan after the Skandagiri weekend proved to be another weekend well-spent…


Sakaleshpur in Hassan district is the gateway to the mighty Western Ghats, and is, as rightly advertised, 'God’s gift to coffee'. It is where the daunting hairpin bends of the Shiradi Ghats meet the aroma of fresh coffee. I was fortunate enough to visit Sakaleshpur just after the monsoons this time around. About 8km from Sakaleshpur en route Shiradi and Kadumane is the Manjarabad Fort, which was commissioned by Tipu Sultan. Having been to Jamalabad Fort earlier this year, another fort built by Tipu which is now pretty much non-existent, I was surprised to see the fort well intact. The name of this fort is said to have been derived from the fact that it was always covered in fog. Hence the apt name ‘Manj’arabad(‘Manju’ is Kannada for fog).


There’s a sign on the NH48 that shows the direction to Manjarabad Fort.  The one other signboard was completely rusted so I couldn't make out much from it except that it was built during the mid-1700s. The easy to climb stairs were dotted with wonderful yellow flowers all along the path. What welcomes us after an ascent of close to 250 steps is a well-camouflaged small fort with distinctive Islamic architecture at the entrance.



This leads to a small but extremely picturesque fort that stands on a stretch of plain land some 3200ft above the ground. The fort is in the shape of an octagonal star.



The fort is surrounded on all sides by the lofty mountains. There are two layers of star-shaped walls, and the little fort is complete with a moat adjoining it..


An eastward view from atop...



My attempts to capture the octagonal star...


The Charmadi Ghat range. north of Manjarabad. Are the two peaks Amedikallu and Ettina Bhuja?


The fort also has two tunnels, which are said to lead to Mysore and Srirangapatna respectively. Although the fort is ideally located among the mountains and offers breathtaking views all around, its a pity that little has been done to develop Manjarabad as a tourist spot. Although dozens of movie songs have been shot here, it isn't a designated KSRTC bus stop. The haphazardly grown grass inside the fort can be replaced by neat and well-maintained lawns, like the Bekal Fort in Kasragod.  Once the authorities do take up the necessary action, I'm sure the fort will become far more popular among tourists, and deservedly so.

Oh, and one last thing. I still don't know what flower this is. 


Comments

Divya said…
I totally loved the pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

The little-known Vanivilasa Sagara Dam at Marikanive

Here's wishing you a very happy 2012!


From obscure Hoysala temples to large monoliths, from quaint blackbuck reserves to the Merlion, from Madhugiri to Malaysia, the last two months have been the best travel-wise, and have seen me and my humble Santro go places all over the state! This trip, however, was done alongwith my cousins in their i10 (which I must say, is a pleasure to drive!). The destination this time, was the oldest dam of Karnataka - Marikanive Dam or Vani Vilasa Sagara, near Hiriyur in the Chitradurga district.
As a kid I remember visiting Chitradurga and its massive fort, and ever since, the image that comes to mind when I hear any reference to the Chitradurga district is a wild, wild west-type barren land with the Sun burning down on you. But this trip shattered that myth for me.
We started early in the day at around 6 as we knew the traffic would build up on the NH4 Bangalore-Tumkur Road, and sure enough it did. But after gobbling up delicious idlis at the Kamadhenu …

May God Help Me - Farewell NITK

The NITK Chapter is officially closed. As Bangaloreans, we have had plenty of rants against college. But after the exodus dawns the epiphany that things weren't so miserable at NITK after all. Now that I'm back home, I've been able to see the very thin silver lining beneath those very, very dark clouds that made these past four years pretty rough.


The Department:


After a fairly successful series of exams(barring the JEE of course!), I landed up in a class of 73 other souls, who, like me, had screwed up just the one exam but had fared pretty well in the AIEEE and landed in the most sought-after branch in the most sought-after NIT, only behind the IITs and BITS Pilani. Although I felt from the curriculum book when I first looked at it that our courses were very well-structured, I must admit that quite a few of them were mostly rote-mugging courses sugar-coated to sound cool. The Department and Its Presiding Diety always kept us on our toes. Assignments, projects or those excru…

Detachment Theory

A psychological and evolutionary theory that attempts at explaining human behaviour is the Attachment Theory, mainly propounded by a John Bowlby, whose basic tenet is that infants need to develop a relationship with atleast one parent or a caretaker for its natural development to occur smoothly. This relationship, that Bowlby talks of, exists mainly between the 'caregivers' and infants aged 6 months to 2 years old. Bowlby published the full theory in his trilogy Attachment and Loss, and his Attachment theory has since become "the dominant approach to understanding early social development, and has given rise to a great surge of empirical research into the formation of children's close relationships". 


While this theory does supposedly explain attachment of infants with their 'caregivers', what still eludes my mind is the nature of the myriad other attachments we have, all of which affect our behaviour, and psychological state equally, or maybe even more th…